Installing and using the GoldenDict application with DDC Dzongkha Dictionaries.
GoldenDict is a free dictionary lookup application for Microsoft Windows available under the GNU General Public License. We have converted our Dzongkha-English, English-Dzongkha, Dzongkha-Dzongkha,Dzongkha Homophone Dictionary , and Choekey-Dzongkha dictionaries into a format used by GoldenDict and created an installation program which installs GoldenDict along with these dictionares pre-configured for Dzongkha.
Download and Installation
- Download GoldenDict with Dzongkha Setup
- Double click on the file called "GoldenDict_Dzongkha_Ver2.exe" to run it.
- Follow the installation wizard as shown in the screenshots below.
- Click on the Next button.
- Click on the button labled I Agree.
- Click on the Next button.
- By default, the 'Create a Desktop icon' checkbox will be ticked so that a desktop shortcut is created at the end of the installation process.
- Click on Next.
- Click on the Install button.
Wait for the necessary files to be copied onto your computer.
- Finally click on the Finish button to complete the installation process.
Running the GoldenDict Application
- The GoldenDict Application may be launched from the Start, Programs menu or from the desktop shortcut icon
- Besides using the desktop shortcut, you can also click on the dictionary icon in the taskbar at the bottom of your screen to open the dictionary.
- By default, when you open the dictionary, all three DDC Dzongkha dictionaries will be turned on, as shown below:
- However, if you wish to refer only one particular dictionary at a time, you can turn the others off by simply clicking on them, as shown in the illustration below:
- The area highlighted in red is the search field where you can type in your search word in either English or Dzongkha depending on the dictionary of your choice. After typing in the word, press Enter on your keyboard, or select the word of your choice from the possible matches list that appears in the area highlighted in blue. The result of your search is displayed in the area highlighted in green. The selected dictionary is also displayed in this area.
- Use the magnification tools shown below to increase or decrease the viewing font size of the text in the results area:
- With the Scan popup functionality turned on (by clicking on the button shown in the illustration below), a small window pops up with the translation of a word chosen from another application.
- All you need to do is point your mouse on a word in any other opened application such as MS Word:
- or a web browser such as Internet Explorer: .
- A pop up window, like the one illustrated above, will show you the meaning of the chosen word if it is available in the listed dictionaries.
- You can go to Edit ► Preferences (illustrated above) and change the settings of the dictionary application to your convinience in the Preferences dialog box (below):